Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Brown spots or film on tongue

03/26/2009

Question:

I noticed brown spots or a film on my tongue after some sexual activity this weekend. i am a 26 year old caucasian male. There is no pain perhaps a very very mild hardly noticable sore throat and some dryness. This symptom could have been there prior to my activites but i don`t remeber it. Brushing the tongue and using mouth wash makes it go away for the entire day until i sleep then when i wake up in the morning there it is. what could this be? Is is related to the sexual activity or is this normal and can be fixed with extra brushing?

Answer:

The color change is undoubtedly not related to your sexual activity. It sounds as if you may have acquired a common, harmless pigment-producing bacterium (there are dozens and dozens of various types of harmless bacteria living in everyone's mouth all the time). If you want a more definite diagnosis, you should see an oral pathologist for evaluation.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor of Oral Pathology