Dental and Oral Health Center

I have a salty taste constantly in my mouth

03/31/2009

Question:

i have a salty taste in my mouth sometimes it feels like salt is being poured into my mouth and sometimes i bring up bile this seems to relieve it temperorarily

Answer:

This is a very complex problem and the cause can be very difficult to determine. Taste disorder can be the result of infection (sinus, or associated sinus drainage, yeast (Candida)). Medications can also be associated with metallic or salty taste (antibiotics, anti-depressants, or drugs that have xerostomic side effects (dry mouth)). Localized trauma, such as a closed head injury, have also been associated with taste and smell disorders and in some cases altered taste may be related to burning mouth disorders. Some reports also indicate that vitamin deficiencies may be related to altered taste. Finally, hypovolemia or dehydration may be implicated.

To answer your question as to why this is occurring, there may be multiple causes and it may take weeks or months to resolve.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
School of Dental Medicine