Head and Neck Cancer

Parotid Gland

03/31/2009

Question:

I developed a lump on my left cheek close to my ear. The lump started to grow. I went for a CT scan and it was discovered that I had a parotid gland which needed to be operated on. In 2006 I had my operation. The doctor said it was a cyst but it`s not cancerous, however ever since the operation no change has occurred. The swelling still persists and recently I noticed that on the place where I had my operation there are two small lumps. Could it be that the operation did not take, or by being operated on another problem was created? Does it mean I have to go for a second operation? I`m only 20 yrs of age.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, NetWellness experts try to answer general questions about health. Only a health professional performing a thorough clinical exam is able to evaluate your symptoms. If you are unsatisfied with your original surgeon, I would reccomend you get a second opinion at a university program or community expert in head and neck tumors/masses.

Go to the Head and Neck Cancer health topic, where you can:

Jeffrey J Sussman, MD Jeffrey J Sussman, MD
Associate Professor of Surgery, Chief, Division of Surgical Oncology