Athletic Training

Ab exercise

04/06/2009

Question:

I am trying to lose most of the "flab" on my belly chest and back. I have done fairly well so far. I know I cannot "spot lose" so I have been eating better and exercising to burn calories, lose weight all the way around, and just feel better. I have lost about nine pounds so far. I still have a little bit of belly fat but I can see some progress (just an inch or two left to lose!) :-D. Anyway, I am trying to exercise my abs because I would like to have a "six pack" by the time I have lost my belly fat (and the other fat that I lose with it). So my question is this: should I be doing my ab exercises (crunches etc.) everyday? I lift weights and I know that we should only lift every other day in order to allow our muscles to heal and grow stronger, but does this apply to the abs as well? I have been doing crunches and a couple other ab exercises (which I don`t know the names of) on my workout days but I`m not feeling my abs getting stronger the same way that the rest of my body is. Are crunches enough of a low impact exercise that I can do them daily like walking or jogging to get better results?

Answer:

Crunches and most other abdominal exercises are safe to do everyday. To be safe, you can do different types of abdominal exercises on alternating days. For example, do leg lifts, forward crunches, and sit-ups on one day. Then do twisting and side crunches on the next day.

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Mary  Laingen, MS, ATC Mary Laingen, MS, ATC
Assistant Athletic Trainer
School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences