Pain Management

Upper back and rib pain

04/10/2009

Question:

For a month now I have been having a sharp pain in my upper back on my left side. It is now causing my ribs to hurt to. I went to the ER last Saturday and they told me I pulled a muscle in my back. They did not do any xrays they gave me muscle relaxers, pain meds and inflammatory pills. These are not working. I have been taking them for almost a week now and I am in just as much pain if not more. Some places now feel tingly and numb. I have never had any problem with my back ever. I do sometimes have problems with nerves but no one has ever heard of the sypstoms I have described to them. I sometimes have in different areas pain tingly and numbness. It happens in my feet, hands, knees, legs and other places that sometimes last weeks before it will go away. Then when it does go away a very small tiny area stays numb until I get another one. I seen a nerogist about it and he said he never heard of that before. I dont know if this is what is in my back and rib area right now or what it is but it is very painfull.If it is this is the first time I have had one in my back. The only way I can describe to the doctors is it fills like and abbcessed nerve just like a tooth. Can you please help me out with this.

Answer:

It would help to know how old you are. It seems to me you are talking about 2 different problems. For your rib pain, you may need to speak to a doctor about an X-ray to rule out a fracture. If that is negative, you may want to speak to your physician about trying to rule out shingles.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Hammam  Akbik, MD, FIPP Hammam Akbik, MD, FIPP
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Anesthesia