Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Lump underneath tongue

04/21/2009

Question:

I have been to a dentist, ENT, and an Oral Surgeon about this problem. No one has given my any answers. My Dentist said I needed a biopsy ASAP, my ENT said that it did not need a biopsy and gave me a CT scan to find a sinus infection and 2 rounds of antibiotics. The Oral Surgeon I went to today referred me to another ENT. Here is the problem, I had this lump underneath the right side of my tongue show up. It is very painful and has been there for 2 months. I now have a painful sore on my tongue on the right side. The Oral surgeon said he was not going to do anything with it until I had another opinion. I have already had 4 opinions. My question is what could this lump be? It is painful to eat, painful to touch, and it is hard. It does not move around at all. It is about the size of a pencil eraser. I can not get anyone to tell me what it is. I thought a salivary gland, wasn't that. I am ready to be able to eat normal foods again and not have the stabbing pain that comes and goes throughout the day. HELP!!

Answer:

This is a perplexing situation, and without seeing imaging and being able to examine the area of the lesion I can only guess what is actually going on. I would be concerned that the "lump" is fixed and that the lesion is painful and the area of pain perception is enlarging (from floor of the mouth to now include lateral border of tongue).

I would suggest that you see an Otolaryngologist (ENT) and possibly have additional imaging (NMRI) of the area in question. I realize that you have been making the rounds seeing many "experts" with no diagnosis. You may require being seen at a major medical center that has multiple specialties that can evaluate your problem in a team-based setting.

Best wishes.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
School of Dental Medicine