Gynecology

Vaginal discharge

04/15/2009

Question:

Today i saw my girlfriends underwear when i went into the bathroom as she was taking a shower so our son could use the restroom.....i just happened to look down and see that there was a white creamy substance on her panties. I asked her if she had any kind of sexual contact with anoyone else the night/morning before i saw her, since the only time i have seen that on her panties is after we have had sex. she replied "its just discharge" but it had an odor such as that after we have had sex. sorry if i sound ignorant but is there such a thing as just plain discharge?

Answer:

Yes, there is such thing as normal physiologic discharge. It is usually white, there is no itching and the odor may smell like normal bodily fluids. That is not to say that it couldn't be the normal discharge after sex, but there is no way to tell just by looking at it.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education