Mouth Diseases

Stubborn bump ...

04/08/2009

Question:

About 7 months ago I noticed a small white spot nearly on the tip of my tongue.. it didnt really bother me so I didn`t think to get it checked by a doctor. However, since discovery this "bump", which I think is an enlarged taste bud, has gotten quite big and it now pretty noticeable if I happen to stick out my tongue. Also, it has become very annoying and now almost seems to be, kind of, hanging or sticking up, off of my tongue. I was just wondering if it`s normal to have this for such a prolonged period of time and if I could get it removed by my doctor?

Answer:

As you surmised, this probably started out as a swollen taste bud (or fungiform papilla). It may have been irritated or traumatized by accidental biting or rubbing against the teeth, leading to additional enlargement and the development of scar-like fibrous connective tissue. At this point, it may be better categorized as a fibroma (irritation fibroma, bite fibroma, fibrous hyperplasia). Although completely benign, it could continue to enlarge.

Given your concern, I would recommend you seek out an appointment with an oral surgeon to discuss conservative removal of this stubborn bump. Good luck!

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology
Associate Dean of Dentistry Administration