Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook


Should I get a second opinion?



I am 24 yrs old. I have 2 children. One was born in 2007 and the other was born Dec 2008. Before my 1st child I had a sore on my cervix. My doctor said it was from sex. Well I did the cryo and it went away. I went for the check up everything was fine. I didn`t need to come back in. Well at my 6 week check up after my second child was born I had another sore, although my docor had to think of what to call it. He said it was from irritation from the birth. I had to have cryo done again. When it was safe to have sex, I bled some afterwards. When my period came I didn`t bleed until a couple of days before I had to stop even then it wasn`t much. I went back to the doctor, and he said everything was fine, but this time he wanted me to go back in 6 months for a recheck and another pap test, which will make my 4th this year. I had sex a few days ago and bled a little afterwards. I thought it was because my period was supposed to start the next day. I never started my period. Today is the 3rd day after my period was supposed to start and I`m bleeding just a little red and a little brown. I`m worried I may have cevical cancer. My aunt on my mothers side had a rare type of cervical cancer. Should I wait and see how things go or should I get a second opinion? Why would I need a recheck if everything is fine?


Your history is a bit complex. I am wondering if you were ever told you had dysplasia. This is a precancerous lesion that is detected by Pap smear and confirmed with a biopsy. On the other hand, did you have a polyp or scar tissue from your delivery. This can cause bleeding and can be treated by cryo therapy. There is no inherited risks for cervical cancer. Regular Pap smears detect precancerous lesions well. With the number of Pap smears you have having, it is unlikely that something will be missed. If you can't get your doctor to explain things to your satisfaction, you could always seek a second opinion to help put you at ease.

For more information:

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education
No longer associated