Infertility

Start ovulation

04/09/2009

Question:

I wanted to see what you would suggest that can take to start ovulation. I have a 10yr old son and I would love to have another child, but I found out that I am not ovulating and I need to take an herb or a medication to start ovulation so I can have a baby?  What should I do?

Answer:

If you have irregular periods, it is likely that you are not regularly ovulating (making an egg).  You should be evaluated for hormonal causes such as thyroid disease or increased prolactin (these are simple blood tests).   If you have hair growth on your face, chest, back, or abdomen, you may have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). 

Usually, treatment is simple and consists of taking a fertility pill to get you to ovulate.  Prior to treatment, your husband should have a semen analysis, and you should consider having a dye test to see if your tubes are open. 

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD