Lung Cancer

Solitary pulmonary nodule

04/09/2009

Question:

Hello: I am a 36 yr old woman. I smoke socially every once in a while. I got a TB skin test done 2 weeks ago and it came back positive. The doctor told me to get a chest x-ray to check for TB. After I had it done he told me to get a CT scan for further evaluation. I got the CT scab results today and it shows a solitary nodule on the right midlung field. It measures 1.7 cm transverse, 0.8 AP by 1 cm superior-inferior. I am scared it may be cancer. The results say the nodule doesn`t meet radiographic criteria of benign calcified granuloma. I`m scared that what I have then could be cancer. Could you please give me more information about this? Could it be cancer? I am really worried~ Thank you

Answer:

Given your age and limited smoking, it's likely benign.  However, I think you should see a pulmonary physician or thoracic surgeon who specialized in general thoracic surgery.  They may want to do a PET scan.  Based on this, they may follow with CT scans or recommend a biopsy.

I hope this helps.

Go to the Lung Cancer health topic, where you can:

Sandra L Starnes, MD Sandra L Starnes, MD
Assistant Professor of Surgery