Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Colorectal Diseases

Anal fissure doctor



What type of the doctor is the best to see for an anal fissure diagnosis? I went to a proctologist yesterday and he says I have some type of fungal rash that is causing the pain (I am bleeding from what seems like a fissure, redness, burning, pain during defecation). The area is red like a rash but I am not sure if it 2 things (a rash and an anal fissure) or if the rash is just causing the skin to break. He told me to use Lotrimin and 1% Hydrocortisone cream two times a day and zinc oxide at night and also to use Calmol 4 and take fiber supplement.


A proctologist is the right specialist to see for these types of problems. Remember, they have a "bird's eye view" of the area during your exam. Sounds like the advice you were given was good, for the problem that was seen.

For more information:

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati