Mouth Diseases

Multiple connected lumps under tongue

04/20/2009

Question:

My retarded broyher-in-law is with us this week and my wife noticed that under his tongue must be 20 lumps all side by side from side to side covering all the space under his tongue. Just 2 weeks ago he had a bad tooth pulled and nothing was ever said of it. The lumps are a third to a half inch across with not one open space not having a lump.

Answer:

You do not mention whether the lumps are hard or soft (or somewhere in between) and that would make a big difference as to their probable cause. Although likely not serious, it might be reasonable to contact the practitioner who extracted your brother-in-law's tooth about these connected lumps. If there is any question in the practitioner's mind, a follow-up examination to look at these "lumps" and ensure normal healing of the extraction site might be in order. Good luck!

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology