Infertility

Cystic follicle

05/19/2009

Question:

i have an ultrasound last april 6, and the result came out that i have an cystic follicle in my right ovary measuring 2.7cm and my left ovary is normal. i took clomid-stimulated day 14 and i didn`t ovulate. is this can affect my ability to conceive? pls. help me to understand about cystic follicle.thank you so much...

Answer:

A follicle is simply a cyst with an egg inside.  If you are taking clomid you can monitor growth of the follicle.  A baseline ultrasound can  be performed at the beginning of your cycle (within the first 5 days) which should show very small follicles.  You would then start the clomid and have a repeat ultrasound one week later.  If your ultrasound shows a follicle cyst measuring between 1.8 and 2.2 cm, you can take an injection to trigger release of the egg within the follicle.

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD