Menopause

Enlarged uterus due to perimenopause

04/17/2009

Question:

dear doc , im a woman 46 years of age.I have experiencing severe perimenopausal symptoms since the last two months. initialy the symptoms were not so severe only slight bleeding for a long period but when the bleeding got worse i visited my gynac who put me through a series of tests to rule out cancer. she diagonised that i had an enlarged uterus syndrome and my sac was full of menstrual blood. she put me on hormonsl pills which gave me a breif relief but mild spotting has been there till date. what is more i have gained considerable amount of weight which refuses to go away with deiting n excersising.please help me stop the agony

Answer:

The weight gain you've experienced is probably not due to the hormones she gave you, but is a common problem for women during this transition. It is important, however, to follow up with your physician to take care of your bleeding issues.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Cynthia B Evans, MD Cynthia B Evans, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology