Lung diseases

Calcified granuloma in lung

05/04/2009

Question:

I am 39 yr old white female. I have had CT scans for various reasons in the last two years. The common factor is the calcified granuloma in my left lower lung. In those scans it has grown, ie. tiny,then 7mm and now in the last month it is at 8mm. I also have considerable amount of pain,fatigue/lack of sleep, shortness of breath, bad cough when not sick and blood results ANA was abnormal result. Not sure if this is normal or if should be concerned with?

Answer:

I would discuss the findings with your physician. In general, densely calcified nodules on CT are completely harmless and usually represent old dormant infection. However, in some instances, they can also represent prior infection with things that can come back - such as tuberculosis. Also, if the nodule is only partly calcified, it needs to be watched closer to make sure there is not something more severe going on. I have a hard time thinking that the 8mm nodule could cause your shortness of breath or cough, by itself.

Go to the Lung diseases health topic, where you can:

James M O'Brien, Jr, MD James M O'Brien, Jr, MD
Former Associate Professor
Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine