Myasthenia Gravis

What is remission for Myasthenia Gravis?

05/04/2009

Question:

Could you please explain this paragraph, i got it from you site?

"Patients may ultimately go into remission with Imuran or cyclosporine treatment. In these cases, they are treated with these medications, stop taking them, and then go into remission."

Thank you in Advanced.

I am 35year old male I have had MG for 11years now am currently on Azathioprine 50mg 1x3 daily and Ciclosporin 100mg 1x 3 daily and mestion 60mg 1x 6 daily, i have been taking it for many years.

I would also like to ask am not doing very well I mean each day is different am either full of life and want to go out and do something and right the next day am feeling tried I mean does the MG vary this much from day to day? even with taking my medications??

Answer:

Remission means that you are neurologically normal and have no symptoms of MG for an extended period of time (months or years). If each day is different and the symptoms are due to MG (and not some other cause), then your MG is incompletely controlled. Variability of your symptoms from day to day is fairly common in uncontrolled MG -- even though you are taking medications.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

John G Quinlan, MD John G Quinlan, MD
Professor of Neurology