Digestive Disorders

Pros and Cons of Colonoscopy?

04/17/2009

Question:

Everything I usually hear about colonoscopy screening presents it as all positive and zero negative (i.e., only an idiot would not want to rush out and have one).

But I have also seen an alternative opinion that people with no symptoms and no risk factors do not necessarily need this just because they`ve had some magic number of birthdays. The article that I read said that screening large numbers of healthy people leads to false positives, unnecessary surgeries and unnecessary stress, not to mention unnecessary costs.

I have never heard of any medical procedure that has all pros and NO cons, not even teeth cleaning.

Could you give some accurate info about the pros AND CONS of colonoscopy screening for healthy people over 50 with no risk factors other than age and no symptoms?

I do not feel particularly inclined to have this screening procedure at this time, but my HMO penalizes doctors who don`t get their patients over 50 to ALL undergo this procedure, so my doctor is really pushing it.

Thank you.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. A question similar to yours has been previously addressed. The links below will connect you to that information. NetWellness may also have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Best wishes.

Colonoscopy Complications
Anxiety About Colonoscopy
What is the best colon cancer screening test?
Alternatives to colonoscopy for screening?

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org