Gynecology

Absence of menstruation

05/06/2009

Question:

All my life, I have been like clock work as far as menstruation. I gave birth 10 months ago and had my tubes tied. I have been regular until now. My period is a week late, but I`m not pregnant. What could be going on

Answer:

One abnormal cycle is not uncommon. If you were taking hormonal contraception prior to your pregnancy, then it is more likely that you will have an irregular cycle every once in a while. It becomes a problem when it happens so frequently that you can't tell when they are going to occur. Because even a tubal ligation isn't 100% effective, you should make sure to do a pregnancy test if you are currently sexually active to make sure you aren't pregnant. If you are, you should seek medical attention soon to make sure you don't have an ectopic pregnancy (a pregnancy that is lodged in the tube.)

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education