Mouth Diseases

Mucocele due to water-jet?

04/21/2009

Question:

I have enormous difficulty flossing and as a consequence - don`t. So I got a water-pik to clean my teeth and gums. Vast improvement in just weeks. Gums fuller, healthier, no more bleeding. However I noticed an ocurrance of what I now see may be "mucocele", I am theorizing came from a mechanical penetration of the tongue from when the jet "misses" and shoots on the tongue causing damage. Then when eating - blood blister. Doesn`t happen frequently, maybe once every few months but is annoying. Is this a common issue? I had never seen any discussion of this as a downside of water-pik in all the extensive research I did before purchase. And what annoys me is that this possible hazard is not mentioned at all in the accompanying instructions with the device. Also, please don`t say "aim better".(ok, you can) When you move the jet around your mouth sometimes you just shoot your tongue. Please advise. thanking you in advance. M

Answer:

It is not likely that the device caused your mucocele, if that is what has developed on your tongue. Since there are probably thousands of devices like water-pik in use, such a problem would have been reported and included as part of the mandatory warnings for all commercially-available health-related devices. It is more probable that you developed the mucocele coincidentally around the time you got the water-pik. For more information, please refer to the NetWellness article on Mucoceles.

Since mucoceles can be persistent, you may need to see your dentist or an oral surgeon for advice regarding how to best treat this annoying problem.

Good luck!

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology