Dental and Oral Health Center

Pain under gum with irritation

04/24/2009

Question:

I got root canal (Two times) & crown done tooth number 3rd from back on right side from two different doctors like Endo & regular dentist as Endo does not do the crown etc job After few months all of a sudden i felt irirtation & pain by pressing that spot on the top of treated tooth ( this happens after i got loose bridge recemented in front upper in middle) which is far from tooth #3. I was reffered to Periodontist who never even checked properly.Then i went to diffferent dentist .They did not find anything wrong in Xray so far & was told to use warm salted water Any way i am tired as nobody cares to look properly & find out the cause of irritation in gum.Even when i use extra soft brush it start irritatting.I use finger to rub & massage with tooth paste that gum area. Can anybody reply me soon or it will go away with time? THANKS

Answer:

Sometimes, an endodontically treated tooth can become re-infected. This usually has one or more of three symptoms; severe pain, swelling, and/or radiographic changes. You have none of these. It would appear then that the cause of this irritation is gum or soft tissue related. You have been to a periodontist and another general dentist. From your question, it seems that they also found nothing. It is possible that you injured or irritated the gum tissue. Most common injuries of this nature heal over time, depending on what caused the irritation.

It appears that you have been given proper advice. If it does not resolve in 4 to 6 weeks, return to your dentist for further evaluation.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry