Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Dental Anesthesia

Why see an oral surgeon after tongue paralysi



Six weeks ago I had a root canal in one of my molars that had previously broken. While the dentist was administering the carbocaine, I felt a shock go through my tongue. The dentist has diagnosed parasthesia of the tongue (numbness and lack of ability to taste) and she wants me to see an oral surgeon. What, if anything, could an oral surgeon do to improve the lack of taste and reduce the numbness?


Although there are microneurosurgical techniques for some nerves affected in this way, the particular nerve affected is very hard to repair. To be sure, however, you will need to see an expert in this type of surgery, which may only be found at a major medical center with an oral surgery training program. Some oral surgeons in private practice do enough of this surgery to be quite good at it, but this is not common. Perhaps your local oral surgeon can recommend someone. Good luck.

For more information:

Go to the Dental Anesthesia health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Steven I Ganzberg, SB, DMD, MS Steven I Ganzberg, SB, DMD, MS
Formerly, Clinical Professor of Dentistry
College of Dentistry
The Ohio State University