Mouth Diseases

Spot on my tongue?

04/23/2009

Question:

I am a 16 year old male and have a white spot on the tip of my tongue. I`ve had it since I was a baby and it doesn`t cause me any pain. My parents said it was a milk spot but I`ve searched it up and it doesn`t seem like it. It is quite small, but is easy noticeable and makes me very uncomfertable when people are talking about it. Was just wondering if any one knew what it could be, and could there be any solutions?

Answer:

Many physical features about this white spot are missing in your description. As a result, it is nearly impossible for me to guess its cause or proper treatment.

The fact that it has been present since early childhood yet has not caused significant problems would be consistent with a benign, possibly developmental condition but that is about all I can say with any certainty.

I suggest you have your dentist or a dental specialist such as an oral and maxillofacial surgeon (oral surgeon) examine the spot and see what treatment might be best for you.

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology
Associate Dean of Dentistry Administration