Sarcoidosis

CT of chest

04/23/2009

Question:

History of Sarcoidosis on elbows, face, knees. CT of the chest: Findings: There is a 1.2 cm right pretracheal lymph node. A 2.0 subcarinal lymph node is seen. Scattered subcentimeter lymph nodes are seen in the hilar region. No interstitial changes are noted. No pleural effusion or pneumothorax is appreciated. Impression: Mediastinal lymph nodes. What exactly does this mean? I can`t get in to see the pulmonary Dr until July and I am very concerned. Thank you for any information.

Answer:

You state that you have a history of sarcoidosis. Usually that diagnosis is made based on a sample (biopsy) derived from an affected tissue (usually a lymph node, lung or skin). Assuming that you have sarcoidosis, the findings on the CT scan are very consistent with this. It is reassuring that you do not have signs of "interstitial changes", which can lead to changes in your lung function. I cannot say more about your disease at this point. 

If you do not have any concerning symptoms, such as unexplained rapid heart beats, loss of consciousness, loss of vision, weakness, seizures, etc., then it should be fine to wait until July to see your doctor.

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine