Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Urinary Tract Cancers

Cortical Calcification - Is Specialist Needed



Recent US showed cortical calcification in superior lobe of right kidney. Doc seemed concerned and sent me for a CT. CT refers to only simple cyst, also found on US, saying it had not changed in size in past month. What is a cortical calcification and should I go to a specialist about this? I have only seen a D.O. and have continuing pain in right kidney area.


A cortical calcification may represent a small stone. It is difficult to comment further without seeing the scan or full report. A CT scan is usually more definitive. You should discuss this with your doctor.

For more information:

Go to the Urinary Tract Cancers health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Donald R Bodner, MD Donald R Bodner, MD
Professor of Urology
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University