Myasthenia Gravis

MG Patient and Arthroscopic Meniscus Surgery

05/08/2009

Question:

My 84-year old mom has MG but is in otherwise great health. She recently underwent arthroscopic meniscus repair surgery on her knee and withstood the surgery well; the post-surgery x-rays looked great. However, it has been 2 1/2 months, and she still has pain in the knee. Her doctors cannot explain why as my mother is a great patient and underwent the physical therapy required and continues to do her exercises at home. This kind of surgery normally indicates a high rate of pain relief. My mother and I are disheartened as she does not need another cross to bear--especially at her age. The MG is difficult enough to deal with. Since muscles are involved, could the MG and/or my mom`s age be delaying full healing and pain relief?

What is you feeling about this? Can we still be optimistic about her healing/pain-free prognosis? Thanks for your help.

Answer:

The myasthenia is less likely to be the cause of her not healing well. If she was on immunosuppression, like prednisone, that could slow down healing. Older age also slows down our healing. But is this really a question of slow healing? The big question I had when reading the question was the meniscus really the only problem? I would have expected her to be pain free for at least some period after the surgery, if the surgery was successful and the meniscus was the cause of the pain. Is this a different pain or the same pain she had before surgery? I would take these questions back and ask for a second opinion if needed.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

Robert W Neel, IV, MD Robert W Neel, IV, MD