Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Root canal

04/30/2009

Question:

Hi,

I came across your website today and was wondering if you could help me answer my question:

I have been to a dentist and he suggested that I needed to do a total of 4 fillings and three buildups of which these later would become crowns.

Out of the 4 fillings he said that one was very deep and that he could see the nerve on one of them. I asked if I needed a root canal because of that but he mentioned that I should try antibiotics first and see if those work before attempting any root canals.

The same answer was given to me about one of the buildups done.

If I go ahead and agree to finish up and do the three crowns where the existing buildups are would I still need to get a root canal in the future or is there really truth that I could take antibiotics and if there is no pain present I could deem it healthy.

Thank you on your response.

Answer:

If there is a definite exposure to the nerve or symptoms such as pain, a root canal should be done. Antibiotics may be prescribed if there is an active infection; however, the current thinking is to get rid of infection through treatment and minimize antibiotics.

If you are unsure of your situation, I would recommend a consult with a prosthodontist.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD
Professor of Restorative & Prosthetic Dentistry