Spine and Back Health

Stable Anterolisthesis of L4 and L5

05/08/2009

Question:

I have for the past 15 years stable anterolisthesis of L4 and L5. Stable mild spondylosos of the lumbar spine. Stable diffuse disc bluge. I have had psysical theraphy, non-steroids which got rid of the pain, but it would always come back after about three years. In 2007 it came back again. I had the same treatments, but the pain stayed. So I had steroid pills, 2 epidual steroid injections, even non-steroids, and again psysical therapy. The pain stayed. I would like to have my life back again and be able to walk without low back and left leg pain. Should I now consider surgery with my long histoy of low back and left leg pain. Your opinion is appreciated. It has now been a year and a half with 24 hour pain.

Answer:

Hello, thank you for your question. While I certainly can't give you any advice about whether you should or shouldn't have surgery, I definitely believe it sounds like a reasonable time to at least discuss the option with a surgeon who can do a full evaluation of your circumstances. You might or might not be a good candidate for surgery, and if you are a good candidate you might or might not want to utilize that option at this point. Furthermore, there are multiple different surgical options available, which you should consider carefully as well. Good luck to you.

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery