Oral Cancer

Small lump at tip of tongue

05/04/2009

Question:

Hi, two days ago I discovered a small pea-shaped lump about a cm from the front portion (anterior) of my tongue. It is approximately in the middle, but slightly to the right. It does not hurt, and I can not see any sign of it on a visual inspection. However, when I palpate my tongue with my finger or "bite down" on it with my lips, I can feel the lump.

In addition, I have 2 lumps in the back of the roof of my mouth, one on each side. I have had a sore throat for the past few weeks, and have been to the doctor twice for it, and both doctors have said that it is due to my allergies.

I will go to the doctor tomorrow, but since they are not trained oral doctors, I was wondering if you could provide some insight on my problem. Also, could you tell me what to ask/tell my doctor.

About Me: I am an 18-year-old male, who is in good physical shape. I have never smoked and do not drink often.

Thank you.

Answer:

Unfortunately, it is not possible to make a diagnosis based on your description. If your symptoms are persistent, then it is reasonable to be evaluated by an ear, nose, and throat (ENT) specialist for input as to diagnosis and further recommendations.

Go to the Oral Cancer health topic, where you can:

Amit  Agrawal, MD Amit Agrawal, MD
Associate Professor of Otolaryngology