Gum Diseases

Gum pain

05/05/2009

Question:

Today when I woke up my bottom gum started hurting. Its only on the center right where the chin is located. if i touch it through the outside it hurts. i did notice a white spot and i popped it and pus did come out. it is also some what tender and swollen. what should i do.. i dont gave medical coverage so what is something i can do at home. Please let me know

Answer:

It is hard for me to figure out whether it is a simple toothbrush trauma or a beginning of an abscess formation. Since you are reluctant to go to a dentist, I recommend using warm salty water (one cup of water+1 teaspoon salt) rinse. This works like saline solution to clean the area and helps soft tissue to heal. 

But this problem may be more severe than soft tissue. If you have calculus build up, it needs to be professionally cleaned. If it is related to nerves and blood circulation coming into your tooth structure, warm or cold will not help and may even induce the pain.  

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology