Mouth Diseases

Inside of mouth feels like jelly

05/04/2009

Question:

i have lots of pimples inside my mouth and inner lips . also my lips feel funny and it is very uncomfortable. The dentist also said i have leukoplakia in my left cheek which is a white rough piece.all she sais was see her in 6 months time but i am getting worried as i have had it for a long time. my inside of mouth looks very lumpy and feels so horrid can you advise.

Answer:

The "pimples" that you describe could be normal structures, such as Fordyce granules (tiny yellowish oil glands) or minor salivary glands. The "funny" or "uncomfortable" feeling could be a condition called burning mouth syndrome, which is common, annoying, and harmless. The white rough area on the inside of your cheek might be leukoplakia, but cheek-nibbling could also produce changes similar to what you describe.

You may want to visit the website www.aaomp.org and click on the "Public" tab, under which is a tab for "Oral Conditions". Pamphlets for burning mouth syndrome and leukoplakia are available here.

Without a complete examination, however, it would be impossible to confirm these diagnoses. If you want a more definite answer, you should make an appointment to see an oral pathologist.

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor of Oral Pathology