Digestive Disorders

Swollen Stomach

05/08/2009

Question:

I am having some trouble. I have been a diabetic for 18 years and I have worked very hard to get my waight undercontrol, but recently I have gained nearly 50 pounds. I have tried to talk to my doctor about the waight gain, but he continues to only tell me to watch what I`m putting in my mouth. Here`s the problem: my diet has not changed, my stomach sounds like a drum, and it`s deformed. I constantly have heart burn and sour stomach. My stomach has actully got so big and bloated that it hurts on the left side just under my breast after I eat, even small meals. My stomach will begin to bloat and the upper rib cage will tingle and become so uncomfortable that I cant hardly sit upright. I have to lean back just to relive the discomfort. I dont know what it is but how do I get my doctor to listen to me? I know this is not because I`m over eating. Please Help Me.

Answer:

You should seek consultation with a gastroenterologist. Many things can cause these symptoms including ulcer, gall bladder problems, as well as, other things.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

Syed A Ahmad, MD Syed A Ahmad, MD
Associate Professor of Surgery