Gum Diseases

Gum graph success or failure?

05/11/2009

Question:

I had a gum graph done on one of my front/side lower teeth a little over two weeks ago. On day 2 after the surgery I smiled funny and it hurt in the area of the graph. I called the peridontist and they told me not to worry, that it was probably fine. Since then it gets a funny sensation when I laugh or smile too much. I guess because my cheek is rubbing it?? I resisted looking at it for 10 whole days. Having a swollen lip helped me resist the urge. However, now that I have looked, I`m not sure whether to tell if it took or not. The stiches on one side of the graph fell out over the weekend. The area of the graph, where I had the recession, still looks recessed. I expected the graph to cover more than it appears to be. I`m worried that it either it moved or didn`t take. Should I rush back to the peridontist or wait out this last week and then go for my regularly sheduled follow up appointment? What is it supposed to look like?

Answer:

At this point, your doctor will not touch it because any procedure will traumatize wound healing and negatively affect treatment outcome. Thus, I would wait for the regular appointment unless you have severe pain, etc.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology