Mouth Diseases

Small bump on back roof of mouth after eating

05/11/2009

Question:

I have a small bump that forms on the back roof of my mouth after eating and sometimes after brushing my teeth. It affects my ability to swallow (slightly) and taste food (slightly), and is mildly painful but more annoying. It seems to happen more with hot food, but not strictly. The bump does not smell bad and generally goes away after about 5 minutes, sometimes as long as 20 minutes. What could this be and is there a simple solution to it?

Answer:

What you are describing probably is a condition caused by the partial blockage of one of the minor salivary glands of the palate. If that is the case, the only solution would be to have an oral surgeon remove the responsible gland. This would be done using local anesthesia (numbing the area). You should see an oral pathologist to confirm the diagnosis, however.

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology