Lung diseases

Gagging after infection

05/18/2009

Question:

I had a cough for three months and my doctor told me that I had bronchitis and gave me anitbiotics. The cough and all the symptoms went aways with in two weeks. But even two months later if I cough for any reason at all or even clear my throat I gag. This could happen about five times a day. My stomach and chest muscles are so sore from gagging. I see my lung specialist next week because I also have pulmonary hypertension. Could the gagging me that I still have bronchitis ever though I don`t have a cough? How can I stop the gagging?

Answer:

Gagging can mean many different things including acid reflux, infections of the esophagus, blockage of the esophagus, or side effects of medications. It is not possible to make a diagnosis over the internet so you should speak to your pulmonologist about your symptoms and ask if the problem could relate to the esophagus in some way.

Go to the Lung diseases health topic, where you can:

James N Allen, Jr, MD James N Allen, Jr, MD
Clinical Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine