05/13/2009

Question:

Hi, I came across your site and i found that it is quite helpful. I havent been diagnosed with anything but i fear that i may have type 2 or type 1. im not overweight according to my bmi. im about 148 pounds and im 174cm. Not overweight at all. I had the flu a couple days ago and i was constantly thirsty. I could not sleep at all during the night because i had to get up and get water and repeat it every hour. But i think this was also because i had a really sore throat. Is this normal when you get the flu? Secondly, ive not really had any other symptoms besides drinking a little bit more water than usual but i really havent changed my bathroom patterns.

Thanks.

Answer:

I'm afraid I can't make a diagnosis nor can I adequately assess the urgency of the situation from the information you've provided. You certainly have raised enough questions that it needs to be looked into, and I cannot say that it is not urgent.  The best bet is to contact your own health care provider as soon as possible and have them assess whether it is urgent or not.  If it is diabetes, at your thin BMI, the concern would be that it may be a very insulin-deficient form of diabetes and it would be important to decide urgently whether you are in diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA).  An illness like the flu can be the "straw that breaks the camel's back" in making diabetes apparent that has been present but not evident. Again, I am not saying that you do have this, but with the limited information available, I am ethically bound to give you the worst case scenario so that you don't take what I say as reassurance that you can delay.

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD