Spine and Back Health

Severe Back Pain

05/26/2009

Question:

I have had severe back pain for several years. It is in the middle of my back and is like being stabbed! The pain is constant and unrelenting. I am currently being treated by a pain specialist with methadone and zanaflex. I am writing because I am wondering why it still hurts so bad. I have spasms at night that wake me up. I am getting a hunched back. It makes my legs go numb. It kills me to lift or bend or sit without support. I should also mention I have a t11 compression fracture that was caused by a 15 foot fall from a ladder onto concrete. When they did the MRI they said it was a re-injury or fracture, but that is the only thing that happened to me that could have caused it. I am a 33 year old male. I had tumors removed from my chest when I was 17. I know it`s rare for a man but it happens. I also had glomellular nephritis when I was 14. Does any of that have a bearing on my pain? Even with the methadone and the zanaflex the pain is almost unbearable! I have been on meds for a year and a half now and all it does it barely get me through the day. Is there any hope or help for me? Do you have any suggestions?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, we try to answer general questions about health but cannot diagnose or recommend treatment. You appear to have some very, very specific questions about your condition, which can only be answered properly by a physician who is familiar with your history, physical exam, and test results. Your questions about the testing results you've been given or the risks, benefits, and alternatives for proposed treatments of this condition need to be directed to your treating physician(s). You should insist that they answer these questions in a way that you are able to understand before consenting to any treatment. If your physician is unable to help you understand these issues, you should get a second opinion. Take care.

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery