Increased anesthetic needed for this patient

05/13/2009

Question:

I have a bulging disc at C6-7 that was recently diagnosed. I went to have two fillings repaired and after several doses of numbing medication, I could still feel the drill! My jaw locked and I had a hard time getting it to open fully while at the dentist`s office. The dentist put in temporary filling and recommended I come back in a few weeks and take valium and see an oral surgeon for a nerve block before coming. She said I was too nervous. I truly felt pain while she was drilling....and don`t think I was nervous so much as hurting. The bulge in cervical disc is on the side of the fillings. Could the nerve be harder to deaden because of this?

Answer:

No, the neck problem will not affect the local anesthesia. If you had difficulty opening your mouth, it may be been harder for the dentist to get in the exact right area for a lower jaw local anesthetic. All dentists have issues with teeth not getting numb and I am sure you felt something if you said you did. In the lower jaw, local anesthetic injections provide adequate surgical anesthesia only about 85% of time.