Thyroid Diseases

Graves` Disease

07/14/2009

Question:

I have been getting sicker and sicker for months. I am extremely tired. It is to the point that I can barely function any more. Sometimes I don`t know if I have the energy to breathe. I have been getting weakness in my legs, and my periods last only a day and a half. I also have rheumatoid arthrtiis, high blood pressure and pulmonary hypertension. What are the symptoms of Graves disease, and could I be at a higher risk of having Graves because I already have one autoimmune disease: rheumatoid arthrtis?

Answer:

Although symptoms such as fatigue or weakness are very nonspecific for thyroid disorders, it is known that the likelihood of having clinical thyroid disorders (low and high thyroid function) or elevated circulatory antibodies against thyroid tissue is higher in patients with rheumatoid arthritis compared to the background population. This can be evaluated by blood test and managed appropriately by your physician.

Go to the Thyroid Diseases health topic, where you can:

Marzieh  Salehi, MD Marzieh Salehi, MD
Assistant Professor of Endocrinology