Infertility

Abnormal spotting

05/26/2009

Question:

My husband and I have been trying to conceive for the past 6 months (We do have a two year old) without sucess. I have been using an ovulation predictor kit to help pinpoint ovulation. The problem is that one to two days after I get a positive ovulation test I begin spotting. It is a brown muddy looking discharge that ranges in amount. Sometimes it is barely noticable and other times I actually use a light tampon. The spotting usually lasts anywhwere from 5 days until right up to my period. I am able to distinquish between the spotting and my period. I also had a miscarriage before my first child was born and had a very early miscarriage in January of this year. What is going on? Is it possible to conceive while this is happening? I would greatly appreciate any insight you may have!

My doctor seems completely unconcerned (though he hasn`t done any testing). He said that he wouldn`t refer me for any testing until I had been trying to get pregnant for a year. However, if something is wrong I don`t really want to wait another 6 months to start working on it. Thanks in advance for your help.

Answer:

This question has been forwarded by Gynecology:

If you are young (< 35), waiting until you have tried for one year before starting an infertility work-up would seem reasonable.  Some indications that you are ovulating are: color change with LH kits, and symptoms of breast tenderness, mood swings, bloating prior to your period. You could also have your doctor check a progesterone level 8 days after your LH surge to make sure those levels are normal.  If everything checks out, I would continue to try until one year before starting a work-up.  

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD