Gum Diseases

Loose Tooth Seven Years After Bone Graphing

09/09/2009

Question:

I had bone graphing around seven years ago on my top teeth. All of them. When the surgery was done I already had two chewing teeth on the bottom teeth...one on each side of my mouth missing because they died and fell out (or perhaps were pulled out) after root canal surgery attempts. Now the very last tooth on my top left quadron ( same side as my heart or right side when the dentist is looking at me) has grown out of its socket because there is an empty space where the chewing tooth used to be on the bottom and is very loose but does not hurt me. It has had cavities and fillings, when I was younger and I don`t know whether to pull it or save it, I think it still has some feeling in the nerves but I`m concerned it may be dying. I don`t know how much longer it will be before it falls out. I get inflammed around the gum line there and I get earaches sometimes but the pain is not enought to even take a tylenol at times. I could not afford to put teeth on the bottom and now this is the result. In fact I never followed up after the actual bone graphing...because it took me so long to pay it off. My husband and I had dental insurance back then and we lost it through his employer about a year ago. What should I do? Could the tooth be saved?

Answer:

Sorry for my delayed answer. If the tooth is loose and has inflammation around it, if it is difficult for you and if you are not planing to have restoration to replace what is lost on the bottom, I recommend extraction. This way at least you eliminate infection/inflammation that may affect adjacent teeth. However, you should have some type of restoration to support mastication. Your front teeth may start moving around and flaring out if you do not have enough back teeth to chew on.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology