Significance of HbA1c test in non-diabetics

05/21/2009

Question:

I am a 51 years old male. I am non-diabetic but latest blood sugar reports states that my fasting blood sugar on three occasion is around 110 to 114. PPBS is within normal range. However, HbA1c is 7.1 I am BP patientwith normal parameters of blood lipid kidney thyroid. My GTT report says it is impaired glucose tolerance.What is the What is the significance of HbA1c test in non-diabetics? ?

Answer:

I am afraid I cannot answer the question from the information provided.  The likeliest explanation for a HbA1c of that level is that the person has persistent high blood sugars and diabetes.  However, there can be artifacts in HbA1c determinations from other red blood cell disorders and I in fact study people who have variations in their HbA1c from the value expected from blood sugar due to variations in the normal regulatory mechanisms.  You need to discuss these results with your doctor and consider possible consultation with an expert in diabetes, an endocrinologist, if there is a discrepancy between the results.

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD