Pulmonary Fibrosis

My 27-year-old son got pulmonary fibrosis

05/20/2009

Question:

How could a young man of 27 have pulmonary fibrosis? He died in 5 short months and didn`t get a chance of being listed for lung transplant. His only obvious sympton was a nagging cough maybe 9 months prior to being diagnosed. I still can`t comprehend this disease. Could the fact that my son had acondroplasia dwarfism cause this disease?

Answer:

Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis is very uncommon in patients under age 30. I am not aware of a relation between dwarfism and pulmonary fibrosis. Many other conditions can cause interstitial lung disease that can mimic idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis including infections, medications, and hypersensitivity reactions to various inhaled substances.

To best understand what happened to a person after death, it can be very helpful to make an appointment to meet with the pulmonologist who provided care for that person during life to discuss the person's lung condition. Often, information becomes available after a person's death that can shed light on the underlying lung disease.

Also, if an autopsy was performed, then meeting with the deceased's physician to discuss the findings of the autopsy can be very helpful to bring closure and understanding.

Go to the Pulmonary Fibrosis health topic, where you can:

James N Allen, Jr, MD James N Allen, Jr, MD
Clinical Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine