Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Spine and Back Health

Crushed Spine



My dad had a fall and sustained fracture to the T12 and L1 vertebrae. The doctors also said he had a crushed spine. Will he be able to walk again? It happened about a week ago, and since then he has no feelings from his waist down.


Thank you for visiting NetWellness. I’m sorry this happened to your father. Unfortunately, you haven’t given me enough information to tell you what will happen to him. 

On this site, we try to answer general questions about health but cannot diagnose or recommend treatment. You appear to have some very, very specific questions about your father, which can only be answered properly by a physician who is familiar with his history, physical exam, and test results. Your questions about the testing results you've been given or the risks, benefits, and alternatives for proposed treatments of this condition need to be directed to your treating physician(s).

You need to be asking this question of his doctors, someone who has examined him and seen his films. It should be a spine surgeon, either an orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon. These are the only people that have the right expertise to answer your question.

You should insist that they answer these questions in a way that you are able to understand before consenting to any treatment. If your physician is unable to help you understand these issues, you should get a second opinion. Good luck.

For more information:

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

Response by:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University