Kidney Diseases

Regarding Size of Kidneys

06/11/2009

Question:

My age is 65 years. I am diabetic since 34 years, and had HTN since 20 years. Protein in urine analysis since 34 years is trace. One month back serum creatinine is 1.7 mg/dl ie on 25/04/2009. asting bood sgar is 82 mg/dl and post lunch blood sugar is 100 mg/dl. BP is 150/80 mmg Hg on 25/04/2009. Kidneys sizes are 8.3 cm 8.7 cm in USG test. My weight is 55kg. I am active and have no problems so far. Please let me know any problems I may have due to smaller sizes of kidneys.

Answer:

Your renal function is less than 50% of normal based on your serum creatinine and your small kidneys reflect that fact. Your doctor can give a better estimate of your renal function than I can because the information you provided to make a better estimate is incomplete.

Also, your BP is too high, which will cause further renal damage. Your systolic BP should be about 125. Discuss this with your doctor as this goal may not be suitable for everyone.

Go to the Kidney Diseases health topic, where you can:

Thomas   Zipp, MD Thomas Zipp, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine