Lung diseases

Reoccuring bronchitis

05/26/2009

Question:

I had bronchitis in the middle of March and now it is the middle of May and I got bronchitis again. Two months apart almost to the day. It was only Friday that I had a pulmonary function test done and they told me my lung funcion is above average. Then on the following Monday I got bronchtis agin. This time is worse then the first time. I get the flu shot every year. Until March I never had bronchitis before. Is this concidered chronic or just reoccuring? Is there any thing that I can do to stop from getting it again?

Answer:

Chronic bronchitis is defined by the presence of a chronic cough with sputum production for three consecutive months during two successive years in a patient in whom other causes of chronic cough have been excluded. Based on your description, it sounds like your bronchitis is recurrent instead. Smoking is the most common cause of chronic or recurrent bronchitis. If you are a smoker, the best thing for you to do is quit. If not, other things such as asthma, allergies, or immune abnormalities can cause recurrent bronchitis and you should discuss these with your doctor.

Go to the Lung diseases health topic, where you can:

Jennifer  McCallister, MD Jennifer McCallister, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep