Allergies

Allergies

05/23/2009

Question:

Within the last year and half my allergies have changed. In the past, I use to just get allergies during hay season, and the only symptoms I produced were sneezing, runny nose, and watery eyes. Now, my allergies have become much worse and last longer than hay season, my allergies last the whole year. My symptoms have become more and more intense. Lately, my allergies symptoms are as follows: swelling of the eye lids, lips, and/or nose; small edema on my arms; headaches; pain behind my eyes,the back of my head, and teeth; itchy bumps and redness cheeks; sometimes ear infection; nausea etc. Are there any natural remedies I can take to relieve me of my allergies? Or should I go to specialist, besides my allergist, to rule out any underlying causes? How can avoid having these reactions since dust and pollen are everywhere?

Answer:

You are describing symptoms that sound like worsening of your allergies. My suggestion would be to discuss these with your doctor, also, you could ask if a referral to Otolaryngology (Ear, Nose and Throat surgeon) would be appropriate. I can't suggest therapy, but I would possibly suggest you talk with your doctor about allergy shot or immunotherapy. This is a way to use what you are allergic to as a treatment to decrease allergy symptoms.

Go to the Allergies health topic, where you can:

David  Hauswirth, MD David Hauswirth, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor
Pulmonary, Allergy, Crtitical Care & Sleep
Pediatrics