Low insulin levels, dizziness

05/26/2009

Question:

I have been experiencing dizziness on a regular basis usually after meals. I have had blood work done and so far the only finding is that my insulin levels are low. I have been told that my blood sugar levels are fine, as well as my glucose tolerance. What are the implications of low insulin? I generally follow a low glycemic diet and I am a vegetarian.

Answer:

It is more plausible that some variation in blood sugars would make a difference than that a variation in insulin level unrelated to blood sugar would. There are ways that either high or low blood sugar could contribute to dizziness if extreme enough but unlikely that low insulin levels with normal blood sugars are related. It is also conceivable that alterations in blood flow to the brain in relationship to food intake could also be a contributor. A primary care doctor should be able to guide you in evaluating these possibilities.

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD