Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Tongue Diseases

05/28/2009

Question:

I have black spots on my tougue. and its spreading day by day. Is it any kind of disease? I can`t go to any dental experts , becouse i know it is a disease. when ever i take food from other which already eaten by any body . i feel some kind of irritation on my tougue. and i see few new black spots on my tougue within few days . please advice some solution. or medicine for this.

Answer:

It is impossible to say what is causing the "black spots" that you describe. Several medications can cause discoloration of the lining of the mouth. For some persons of color, black or brown spots may be normal, although in that setting, the spots don`t hurt.

Other conditions, such as certain hormonal problems, may cause brown spots in the mouth. A benign reaction called melanoacanthosis may cause dark spots, and very rarely, cases of malignant melanoma could present in this way.

I would recommend seeing an oral pathologist or someone who is familiar with oral diseases to evaluate your problem.

Access to Dental Care (American Dental Association)
Free or Low Cost Health Coverage (Foundation for Health Coverage Education)
Medical and Dental Care without Insurance

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology