Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Swollen gland

06/01/2009

Question:

i have noticed that everytime i have my teeth cleaned about 3 days later i get a swollen painfull gland in my neck on one side now i do also have a bad tooth, on the bottom right, i have never had pain in the bad tooth, would the painfull gland be from, the tooth being bad even if it didnt hurt?

in the past 4 months i have had root scaling last sesion was top left, and 3 days later painfull swollen gland then last week regular cleaning 3 days later peinfull swollen gland,

but my main question is, would a bad tooth that dosnt hurt cause the gland to swell and be painful?

Answer:

Yes, a "bad" tooth could cause swollen glands even if it does not hurt. You might also be "stirring up" some low-grade gum infection every time you have your teeth cleaned. You should still have your teeth cleaned regularly. You might try antibiotic gum rinse (Peridex) with or without oral antibiotic pills prior to cleanings.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

David Lee Hall, DDS David Lee Hall, DDS
Clinical Associate Professor of Primary Care